Sunday, June 11, 2017

Women Camping Alone - Safety

I believe in facing fears and I try to do that except regarding flying which I don't need to face, at least I don't think so.  My daughter, Jill and I have talked about camping safety as she is also a solo woman camper.  We both agree that what we fear the most is safety issues relating to men more than wildlife.  The National Park Service gives some comfort with these statistics - there were 83 rapes (one in 3,527,951) on its public lands in 2014, compared with 84,041 reported rapes (one in every 3,794 people) in the rest of the country in the same year.  That may be true, but I think a woman wanting to camp alone, especially in more isolated areas should do it and not be afraid but be smart.  I've given this a lot of thought and would like to share some of my ideas relating to this subject.
1 - when traveling alone, don't put first name on the slip of paper that will go on site post -don't identify yourself as a woman, use last name.
2 - Park your vehicle with the front end facing out.  If you need to exit in a hurry, your vehicle is ready.
3 - Take along an extra lawn chair to give impression that there's more than one person in camp.
4 - Avoid real isolated areas but if you do camp in a primitive area, you might want to do so away from hiking path.
5 - Always keep phone nearby.
6 - Hang a pair of men's underwear on your clothesline.
7 - Know the rangers phone number or the number of someone in charge of area.  If there's a campground host, let him/her know you're camping alone.
8 - When walking alone at night, carry pepper spray (actually carry spray all the time and don't be afraid to use it).  I also have a very heavy flashlight that, if necessary, I can use for protection and whenever hiking alone - day or night - I carry a knife.
9 - I was the only camper in a rustic campground last fall.  An old white van drove slowly down the camp road near my popup trailer around midnight.  I was afraid and felt really unprotected.  I always keep a can of hornet spray and an open knife near my bed but didn't think this would be enough to keep me safe if I was attacked.  After that incident, I seriously thought about getting a gun, have decided not to do that but I know some campers do carry one for safety.
10 - Don't advertise you're alone on social media.  A woman was kayaking or canoeing around Michigan on the Great Lakes as a money raiser for a charity.  She was facebooking and blogging about her adventure.  A guy started stalking her, found her and raped her.  I really am not sure what to do about this issue as I like to share my adventures but want to be safe so going to give this some thought.
11 - Arrange to contact someone daily if possible.  I'm going to message my daughter everyday and just say
 hi. If she doesn't hear me from me for two consecutive days she will need to contact someone to find out what's going on.  This has to do with health issues more than anything.  Don't want to be in a situation where I need help or am totally incapacitated and can't feed Mitzi (don't want her to eat me!!!).
12 - Always keep a close watch on weather.  I'm good at judging Michigan weather but being in a different location can sometimes really throw me off.
There are other safety issues that I could address like safety as it relates to the environment, for example, dealing with wildlife but this is enough for now.
I have friends, especially women, who ask me if I'm afraid and who advise me not to camp alone advising me to take a friend and I always respond that I like camping alone, I like my independence and I like solitude.  I think, for me, I get out and do my solo camping but I try to be camp smart.  I think the most important thing is to use common sense and have a plan.  If your gut says - this isn't safe, don't stay!
I am really proud of my daughter Jill.  She loves camping in her tent and has camped in more isolated areas a few times and will continue to do so in the future. At first she was leery about doing this but did it anyways.  I've shared some of my skills and knowledge with her but she has learned a lot on her own. She makes me think of the poet Mary Oliver's quote, "...and what will you do with your one wild and precious life."  As it regards camping she will get out there and have great adventures.  You go Jill!!!!  Onward and Upward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Campobello Island, New Brunswick, Canada - Part 1

In September of 2013, I went on my last adventure with my "big black van", my destination Campobello Island which is located in ...