Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Dear Oprah...

I have often been inspired to do crazy things based on the "why not" philosophy.  Sometimes I'm successful and sometimes, well, not so successful.  As I approached my 60th birthday, I began planning my first camping adventure to Maine, I couldn't find "the best ever" campground and so I decided to contact Oprah and see if she could lend a hand because, after all, "why not".  This letter was written in the Spring of 2005.


Dear Oprah,
I've lived on small farms most of my life.  I've had a good life but sometimes, financially, it's been a bit of a struggle.  Bartering has always been used as a problem solving tool.  In fact, the word "barter" has always been part of the farmer's vocabulary.  Oprah, I'd like to offer you a plan where we could barter our way into a win-win situation.
I'm enclosing a flyer explaining my Farm Lady business.  I'm a former teacher and have been doing farm programs for children and adults for over twenty years.  As my part of the barter, I would take my large tom turkey named Roy, to Chicago and present programs for two or three days.  These programs would be for children in preschools or early elementary schools in disadvantaged areas.  All I would need is a place to camp in my van.
For your part of the barter, well...I don't need money and I don't need gifts - I just need information.  I'm writing to you for your help because I know you can understand my needs; you understand the importance of books, you know the significance of milestone birthdays and you understand events that touch the soul.
I will be 60 in July and like Miss Rumphius (a children's book by Barbara Cooney), I need to go to the sea.  As a child, Miss Rumphius was told by her Grandfather that she needed to do three things:  travel to far away places, comeback to live by the sea and do something to make the world more beautiful. Like Miss Rumphius, I've traveled to faraway places (Peace Corps - Venezuela).  Like Miss Rumphius, I've tried to make the world a more beautiful place.  She planted lupine seeds while, I've planted ideas in the minds of the many children I've encountered through the years.  Like Miss Rumphius, I now need to go to the sea.
I'm planning a trip in September.  My goal is the coast of Maine.  Anne Morrow Lindbergh in the Gift From The Sea wrote, "When the noise stops and there is no inner music to take its place, we must re-learn to be alone."  I've had a productive life but sometimes my life has been difficult.  I've had to put my head down, move forward and tough it out.  I need to hear the "music".  I think the roar of the ocean waves will bring it back to me.  The roar will be my music.  It will renew me and I will move into my sixth decade with a new strength.
Oprah, I have a picture in my mind of what I need to find in Maine.  I know I could write to the Maine Tourist Bureau for information but they won't have your sensitivity.  Just traveling isn't what this is about.  I would like to take advantage of your heart, soul, spirit and resources to help me live my dream.  This is my vision:  a campsite directly overlooking the ocean so that I can not only see the ocean but also hear its waves pounding the shore, I want solitude but with a few people in the area for safety (not close enough to intrude on my privacy), possibly the final destination would be in an area close to Lubec, Maine and last but not least - a place with electricity to plug in my Mr. Coffee.  It's so important to me that this site be just perfect.  I can't trust this to some random person or pamphlet.  I become very emotional when I think of this journey.  Of course, no matter what transpires with this letter, I'm going to Maine.  I can plan this by myself but with your help, there's greater potential of this being the trip of a lifetime.
Roy the turkey and I are looking forward to your response, whatever it may be.  Thank you for taking the time to read my letter.   Margaret Schmidt, The Farm Lady

Well, never heard from Oprah but, unbelievably, I found exactly the campsite I described in the letter but I'll tell you about that in my next blog post.  My letter to Oprah was a bit crazy but I'm so glad I kept it.  Everything detailed in the letter (once past the "barter") is just exact - the why and the where - spot on.  Miss Rumphius, Anne Morrow Lindbergh and also, Rachel Carson, led me on my adventure of a lifetime and Maine has occupied a very special place in my heart since that first visit in 2005.  Maine - my second home.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Campobello Island, New Brunswick, Canada - Part 1

In September of 2013, I went on my last adventure with my "big black van", my destination Campobello Island which is located in ...