Monday, September 11, 2017

Aren't You Afraid?

I've written about fears relating to solo camping in a previous blog.  As I said then, I'm rarely afraid - maybe 4 times since I started camping alone.  Recently I was thinking back to a camping trip that I took to Ohio Amish country. My main destination was Lehman's store.  They sold to the Amish and I could make purchases using their catalog.  I think this was in 1999 when I still had my red Farm Lady van.  I think of this trip as the camping adventure from hell.  This was before internet and before GPS and I remember getting lost - not a little bit lost but big time lost.  I was in a very rural area and I just drove around and around searching for a campground.   I finally found one - it was already dark and I  went to bed.  The next morning someone told me about a nice campground not far from Kidron.  When I reached the campground I thought it was really nice.  It was wooded, big sites and I had lots of privacy because I think I was the only camper.  I remember, very close to my site, was a small lane that led to an Amish farm.  After I was settled, I drove over to Lehman's.  I thought I was going to find a small, interesting store with lots of items the Amish would need for their farms.  I couldn't believe it when I saw bus loads of tourists shopping there.  I was really disappointed and went back to the campground and decided to read my book - a good mystery.  I was sitting in my lawn chair with my feet resting on the picnic table bench - just sitting there minding my own business when this horse drawn wagon came charging from the lane, into the campground and stopped at my campsite.  The driver (about 20 years old) jumped down off the wagon, walked over and sat down next to my feet.  He started talking to me, asked what I was reading and then went into a long story about an Amishman in Pennsylvania who killed a woman by stabbing her and slicing her up and on and on it went.  I thought to myself that he was crazy and told him I had to go.  I went to the campground office and told them what had happened and they seemed totally unimpressed.  If I had been in a tent or my popup I would have left but I  felt relatively safe in my van.  That night I was sleeping and about midnight, I woke up and realized a car had just pulled in and was parked next to me.  The whole campground was empty but they parked next to me. Now I was afraid and spent the rest of the night awake - knives close to me.  The next morning at dawn the car left.  A little while later I left - I wasn't waiting around for some crazy Amishman to slice me up or some random person to kill me in the night.  As you can imagine it wasn't one of my favorite camping experiences but didn't stop me from continuing my solo camping adventures.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh, Margaret! I think that might have done it for me, but at the very least, it would have been my last time in Amish country. Sounds like that guy was a nutjob. And I would definitely have freaked with the other car parking next to me at night with nobody else around. You are gutsy and brave.

    ReplyDelete

Campobello Island, New Brunswick, Canada - Part 1

In September of 2013, I went on my last adventure with my "big black van", my destination Campobello Island which is located in ...