Thursday, May 25, 2017

Dog Owners Gone Wrong!

I have had way too many bad encounters with dogs since Mitzi came into my life and in fact, Larry and I had one very bad situation with a dog owner that included a physical attack on Larry (more about that later).  Mitzi weighs about 12 lbs and apparently dogs that are overly friendly or dogs that are aggressive see her as their new best friend or something to kill.  At this point in time I'm sick of the situations I've had with these dogs and their owners and really feel a need to take action starting with this blog entry.
Some of you will remember the very bad dog attack Mitzi and I experienced right in my neighborhood.  I was talking to my sister Emma on the phone when all of a sudden a dog came charging at us.  It was obvious the dog (like an Akita) was intent on harming Mitzi. I bent over to pick her up but by then the dog was almost on top of us and all I could do was defend Mitzi and me by maintaining my position over her and trying to hit out at the dog. Finally someone stopped their car and scared the dog away.  The owner wasn't home, I went to a neighbor, found out the owner (someone I knew) was on vacation - the neighbor contacted her - the dog sitter had left the dog out.  I didn't contact the police - that was a mistake.  The owner never called to apologize and I let it go.  Approximately 2 months later, Larry and I were walking by her house, she saw us and started telling us how sorry she was and unbelievably, her dog charged out of the house and once again came right at Mitzi.  Larry kicked it and it retreated.  The owner apologized, told us her dog was a rescue and she didn't know what to do about it.  I told her she should get rid of it and told her I'd contact the police if it happened again (what was I even thinking - I should have contacted the police or animal control because if it did happen again, the result could be much worse).
Not long after these two incidents, I was camping at Big Bear Lake up north.  I was alone in the campground except for someone in a tent.  Mitzi and I were walking to a dumpster when a large dog charged out of the tent obviously intent on getting to Mitzi.  I started yelling and the dog owner came out of the tent and was able to call the dog back and he apologized. Obviously I became very cautious about walking Mitzi, no matter the location.  When I was camping in Crooked River State Park, St. Marys Georgia, a guy let two dogs out of his vehicle in the park near my site and they took off.  When they saw me, they ran in my direction and again I started yelling.  He got them under control, apologized to me and said he didn't have time to leash them after they were loose and my response should have been, you attach the leash before you let the dogs out of the car but I basically just acknowledged his apology.  The next day I was sitting in the bird observation "house" and suddenly Mitzi turned and looked intently at the open door.  I looked out and there was a malamute sitting, looking at us.  It was a very cute dog but no owner was in sight and I had no idea of its intentions.  I shushed it away and took a broom for protection and walked over to the RV belonging to a park volunteer to report the incident.
The problem with dogs is that it's impossible to know their intentions - if they're off leash, will they be friendly or even if they are on leash, could there be a problem.  Larry and I were recently going to take a walk at Proud Lake Recreation Area.  We were walking through the parking lot towards a trail when I saw someone look at us and then bend down.  I couldn't see what he was doing because there were bushes between us but I'm sure he was attaching leashes to his dogs.  He then walked towards us with three dogs - holding one leash in one hand and the other two in the other hand.  The dogs looked like Chesapeake Retrievers - large and brown.  They tried to get at Mitzi but they were on leash and walked by us. All of a sudden, the two dogs were virtually on top of Mitzi - the owner had lost his hold on the leashes - I pulled on Mitzi and tried to get away but was hemmed in by a trail sign behind me and the dogs in front.  Larry kicked out at the dogs but he was off-balance and the kick wasn't hard.  The owner got control of the dogs but he went absolutely ballistic. He yelled over and over, "you f-ing kicked my dog" and then he grabbed Larry by the neck and shoulder and pushed Larry back till he fell down (fortunately on soft pine needles).  I couldn't believe what had just happened - I don't believe as an adult, I've ever seen a physical attack like this.  I touched the man's back to talk to him and he turned and looked at me with a crazed look in his eyes (no exaggeration).  I said to Larry to come with me and we walked away down the path and the guy continued to yell at us from the parking lot his same "you f-ing kicked my dog".  I didn't have my phone with me so we continued walking away and eventually went to the Ranger's office and reported the incident - didn't know what his car looked like and couldn't give much of a description of the guy but wrote it up anyway.
Final straw, camping at Maumee State Park last week, I was walking Mitzi and at one site, a Great Dane was tied to a table and it saw us and started barking aggressively.  I quickly walked past.  Later, I was walking Mitzi and couldn't believe my eyes, the Great Dane was walking down the road off-leash.  The owner saw us and put the dog on the leash and as usual, I didn't say anything.
After all these encounters (and more), I've decided, that's it - I have to take action.  I asked someone what I should use as a title for this post and was told, "Dogs Gone Wrong" but after some thought, I decided on the Dog Owners Gone Wrong because generally if the owners have control of their dog, there won't be a problem.  The majority of incidents that I've had walking Mitzi have been a result of owners allowing their dogs to be off-leash.  Every incident has occurred in areas that are posted - "dogs must be on 6 foot leash".  There are way too many owners who ignore this rule - I'm sure they think their dogs are friendly and will return when called.  The ranger at Proud Lake told us there was a survey in parks across the U.S. relating to dog attacks and in over 80% of attacks by dogs, the owner's response was, "but my dog is friendly".    After lots of thought, I've made up my mind to take action.  If there's a dog off leash, I'm going to let the owner know they have to put the dog on leash - that's the rule.  I also have decided that I need protection but this has been a problem - I don't like the thought of hurting a dog and how do you actually know when to use force especially if it's going to leave a lasting physical problem.  How do you know if a dog is just overly friendly or if it's attacking (in 3 of the incidents, it was obvious that the dogs were being aggressive) but after thinking about the other encounters, I believe the dogs were friendly.  I don't believe a dog should suffer a severe physical rebuke because it has a stupid owner who feels entitled.  Today I made up my mind - speak up when needed, call the police when necessary and carry pepper spray and use when I feel threatened.  The spray will stop the dog and it will not result in a lasting physical injury.  The spray should be directed at the dog's muzzle so that it will effect the nose, mouth and eyes.  I've checked on-line and found spray recommended by postmen.  There will also be times when I'll carry a heavy flashlight to use as protection.  I  I bought a flashlight that is like a billy club for$10 at Menards.  I've heard that my neighbor's dog is OK with people but aggressive toward other dogs.  Unfortunately, I would never just allow a dog to get Mitzi without a fight and so there is great potential that I would be injured.  I wouldn't hesitate to use that club on my neighbor's dog.
Here's the thing, I shouldn't have to worry about my safety or Mitzi's safety when I'm out on a walk.  One side-effect is that  Mitzi is developing a real fear- yesterday again a dog charged us, I picked up Mitzi and her heart was racing.  I don't want her walking in fear and I don't want her being aggressive because of fears.  I have to be ready to protect us and I also have to allow Mitzi controlled exposure to other large dogs - she needs to understand not all large dogs are out to get her.  I've also considered buying a harness to use for walks rather than a collar because I've found myself in bad situations where I can't pick her up and defend us so I'm lifting her off the ground to move her and just about strangling her.  My little dog Mitzi is a wonderful dog and I would be devastated if something should happen to her because of a dog attack.  This little dog is full of life and I will do all I can to protect her.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Campobello Island, New Brunswick, Canada - Part 1

In September of 2013, I went on my last adventure with my "big black van", my destination Campobello Island which is located in ...