Monday, May 15, 2017

Maumee State Park

I'm supposed to be sitting in site 73 at Proud Lake Campground about 15 minutes from our farm.  I decided, at the last minute, to change my plans and so, instead of Proud Lake, here I am at site 228 at Maumee State Park in Oregon, Ohio (just east of Toledo). It was a great decision although costly.  I had reservations at Proud Lake and because I cancelled out at the last minute, not all my money will be returned.  I don't care because I'm very content, listening to the birds and looking out at a field with shrubs and trees.
A few weeks ago I checked online for information about this particular campground and wasn't impressed.  I saw that it had over 200 campsites and it looked like they were situated very close together.  When Anna and I were down here last week for the bird festival, we took a ride around the campground and it was evident I was wrong.  The road I'm on has campsites on both sides.  Across the road from me the sites back up to a woods and my side, the field.  Another road has sites that back up to a lake and the other side to a field.  The roads are well separated and so the feeling is that you're fairly isolated.  I really like the setup.
I'm paying $28/night - it's high, more than I like paying but it has electric, privacy and I'm happy.
I'm looking forward to the next 9 days just exploring the park.  It's a birders paradise so should be fun.  I probably will stay in the park - I have no need or desire to leave.  So, today I begin another solo camping adventure - just me and my dog, Mitzi - I'm alive, so onward and upward. Onward!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Campobello Island, New Brunswick, Canada - Part 1

In September of 2013, I went on my last adventure with my "big black van", my destination Campobello Island which is located in ...