Thursday, October 4, 2018

Command Central

I went to Maumee Bay State Park and camped for 5 days.  It was my first trial run with the Transit.  I realized right away that the bench seat behind driver's seat had to go.  It really took up way too much space.  Fortunately Maumee is close to Novi so I returned home and Steve and Larry removed the seat.  This made a huge difference - finally room to spread out.  Unfortunately, also during this first camping trip, I found that I had to do too much bending especially in the morning when I made coffee and cereal. Everything was spread out and moving around the van bent over created back and neck issues.
I thought about my black van and remembered I could reach almost everything I needed while sitting in my chair.  I called the area "Command Central" and realized I should create a similar space in the Transit.  Since I returned home I've been doing just that and think it's now about perfect. 


All my coffee necessities are under the chair.  My microwave is next to the chair sitting on top of my wood box that has a variety of supplies and my cooler is in front of me. I also fixed a better "Mitzi Gate" which you can see on the right - easy to pull across the door opening and hooks to cooler handle. 
In the back, beside my bed, I also added a cabinet with 3 big drawers.  I can put my clothes in two of the drawers and maybe food in bottom drawer. Also, I don't need a "Mitzi Gate" down there - no way for her to get out the backdoors which are now blocked by the cabinet and the bed.

Finally, I was able to secure my table and chair for outdoor use to the cabinet and bed frame and now I have easy access to my screen house supplies under the bed.


I've camped in my black van, a tent and the popup and I know it takes time to get organized and feel comfortable in the space.  I think this time I've been able to draw from my other experiences and changing the Transit from a 15 seat church van to a well-organized camper van has been relatively easy.
So, I'm ready to go camping whenever that might be - probably not till late winter when I'll head South.  Looking forward to it! Now, I just need to come up with a name for this camper - calling it the "Transit" isn't very descriptive - pretty boring.  I have a few months to figure this out and then it's onward and upward and AWAY we go.

3 comments:

  1. I've camped a few times in the last several years. The first time in a tent in decades was at a canoeing symposium where it rained every night and I got up around midnight on the third night and went to a nearby motel. The next time was at the solar eclipse where I used a cot and that was not too bad, the weather was great which helped a lot. At the beginning of this summer I went to a local state park and was greatly disturbed by a guy next to me who kept opening and closing his car door (he was sleeping in the car), the next night I moved to the back of my Ford Flex and slept fairly well. My last trip was to the coast of Oregon for 5 days sleeping in the back of the Flex... not as comfy as I might like. I love the Flex, i can easily put both canoes on top; the Transit would be too tall for that. I'm thinking of creating a small 'trailer' with some sort of tent on top. It would be low enough to get into
    and out of easily, it would be high enough that a little rain would not come in and it would be cheap enough that i could have it and the Flex too. Not quite as good as cake, but close.
    Keep on posting and keep up your spirits (I think Kavanaugh is getting approved).

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful to be able to hop in your van & go where ever you wish. Looks pretty comfortable. It's probably 38 years since I camped, & that was in a tent with 3 kids & a big dog. Wishing you well & looking forward to reading about your next venture.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'm now virtually connected to you...Lefty

    ReplyDelete

Campobello Island, New Brunswick, Canada - Part 1

In September of 2013, I went on my last adventure with my "big black van", my destination Campobello Island which is located in ...