Monday, April 3, 2017

You Gotta Have A Plan Man

I bought my pop-up iIn August 2016 and my only camping trip was to Big Bear Campground near Gaylord last Fall.  I had absolutely no intention to take the trailer on a long trip till i was used to driving it.  That thinking changed when I finally could make a reservation at Crooked River State Park in Georgia and thought, I sure would like to have my trailer down there and not my tent and made a decision to at least try.  Chia, Addison and I came up with this a few years ago - you gotta have a plan man, think good, don't give up and later I added, revise your plan if needed. I came up with a plan by really thinking good.   I've practiced hitching the trailer to my Explorer many times and have no problem doing it.  I setup the pop-up, packed it and closed it - was a little bit frustrated but did it and know I can do it down in Georgia.  I've driven it and feel comfortable that I can go posted speeds without sway taking into consideration the conditions.  I've practiced backing up and while not very good, if I take my time, I can back my trailer into a site.  Finally, I'm learning how to use the GPS system.  I think navigation is sometimes a real problem when traveling solo and have always depended on maps, AAA trip tics and for confusing areas a cheat sheet I would type up in large bold letters.  I was really concerned about driving this trailer through cities with heavy traffic and unexpected lane changes.  Larry suggested this Garmen Nuvi 65LM GPS and like with everything else, I'm practicing.  It's very hard for me to trust anything like an electronic device and to give up control but... I'm doing it.  Used it on my trip to Bay City today with success.  Not totally giving up my maps but I'm joining the modern world.  Now that I've worked with my plan, I'm ready.  I still have some anxiety about the trip but I'm also a little bit excited about having this new adventure.  I have often concluded that I don't want a life controlled by fear.  More than once I've told myself, "don't be a fraidy cat".  On Thursday I'll be on my way - you know why - cause I'm not a fraidy cat and I have a plan man.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Campobello Island, New Brunswick, Canada - Part 1

In September of 2013, I went on my last adventure with my "big black van", my destination Campobello Island which is located in ...