Saturday, April 1, 2017

Georgia On My Mind

I've been looking at journals that have writings about my past three Georgia trips.  I found this -"Note to Self,  How many sweatshirts does one old lady need in a warm climate - I have too much stuff!!!"  I've just decided that this old lady needs three sweatshirts - maybe.  Reading these journals is fun and brings back lots of memories, good and bad.
I thought I'd post today about my first camping trip to St. Marys, Georgia in October, 2014.  That year wasn't a good one for me personally and also for my extended Manser family.  Tough year.  By the end of September I was really not happy - I no longer had my very much loved big, black van that I'd camped in for years - sold it and had a brand new Explorer, very nice but not good for camping.  I had a big tent but nights in Maine at that time of year were too cold for me and so I just walked around being crabby.  Finally Anna said, "Mom, you could go South."  I thought, she's right I could go South.  I began planning and looked for a destination.  I remembered that one of the Anna Pigeon books written by Nevada Barr had taken place on Cumberland Island off the coast of Georgia.  I checked out the area on-line, found St Marys and the Crooked River State Park and the rest is history.  I loved my three trips to Crooked River and now in six days, I'll be heading down I-75 for another two week stay.  The picture I'm posting was taken at a little pond near the campground.  I'm really looking forward to walking around that pond with my camera, taking pictures.  Note to Self (NTS) - watch out for alligators - don't want my dog to be some alligator's lunch.
By the way, Nevada Barr's Anna Pigeon series is a real favorite of mine.  Anna Pigeon is a ranger in the National Park System and each mystery takes place in a different park.  The one about Cumberland Island National Historic Seashore is Endangered Species.  I think I just might sit down and read it again.  Onward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Campobello Island, New Brunswick, Canada - Part 1

In September of 2013, I went on my last adventure with my "big black van", my destination Campobello Island which is located in ...