Friday, April 28, 2017

Georgia On My Mind

I'm home from my 2017 trip to Georgia.  I decided to keep a journal when I was down there and now that I'm home, I'll blog about my trip.  Since I'm new to blogging, I'm not sure which way I want to do this - in real time or when I'm home.  I'll figure it out as I go along.
April 12th, 2017 - Wednesday
Crooked River State Park, St. Marys, Georgia
St. Marys, Georgia is 30 minutes north of Jacksonville, Florida - it's the southern most city in Georgia.  I first came in here in October, 2014.  Anna suggested I go south for a camping trip.  I thought it was a very good idea and decided to check out Georgia.  I remembered reading a Nevada Barr mystery in her Anna Pigeon series that took place on Cumberland Island.  The book was Endangered Species and had Anna, who's a National Park Ranger, fighting a forest fire and solving a crime.  I thought Cumberland sounded like a very interesting place, checked the local area and found Crooked River State Park. I camped at the park three times in my tent and on this fourth trip I was in my new pop-up trailer.  The following is the first entry in my journal.
I've been here since the ninth but haven't felt like writing until today.  My drive down was uneventful. I had been leery about driving the trailer such a long distance but it really wasn't hard.  I believe the Garmen Nuvi GPS device made the trip very doable especially on this first trip when I really wanted to concentrate on the trailer and not navigation.  The only difficult part of the drive was through Atlanta - confusing but with the GPS, I did OK.
I arrived here around noon on the ninth and found this huge site.  The campground was almost full so I feel very lucky.  I spent over an hour trying to figure out where to put the trailer. This is an important decision because for two weeks it would be my home.  I really wanted the trailer back, deep into the site but then I wouldn't have been able to use electric.  Finally I decided to park at the front of the lot with my door facing back toward the big open space.  I think it was a perfect solution. I also have my Coleman Easy Set-up Screen House (takes one minute to put up) located between my trailer and the back of the site.
Right now I'm sitting in my screen house, Mitsi is on my lap and I'm listening to the many bird calls. If I look straight ahead, I see my clothesline stretched between two trees, towels are hanging on it. Nearby is my picnic table with two dishpans.  Surrounding my site are palmettos and it also has many large trees.  I take everything in and my one thought, I love camping!!!   Life can't get much better than this!!!
NTS (Note To Self) - I like a site with electric and probably this is the way I'll camp (most of the time) in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Campobello Island, New Brunswick, Canada - Part 1

In September of 2013, I went on my last adventure with my "big black van", my destination Campobello Island which is located in ...